Welcome

Welcome To My Blog!

Monday, March 1, 2010

Making Homemade Granola

On Sunday, I decided it was time to make Granola. I usually make it at least once a month. I was tired of the high-sugar preservative laden choices for breakfast so I found a starter recipe online and adapted it to suit our taste and needs. My husband and I are both diabetics so I also substitute sweetener in place of some of the sugar but if you are not diabetic you can just use 6 Tbs more brown sugar. This is a one bowl recipe and you can use any type of dried fruit, I use cranberries because they are lower in sugar than some other fruits, but you could use anything you like. Nutritional information to follow at end of recipe:

Pre-heat oven to 275 Degrees
In a large bowl combine the following dry ingredients (except cranberries) thoroughly:
2 cups old-fashioned oats (use rolled oats not instant oatmeal)
1/2 cup wheat germ
2 Tbs. brown sugar (packed)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup sliced skinned blanched Almonds
1/4 cup pecan pieces
6 packets of Splenda, Truvia or Equal (use what your prefer taste-wise)
1/4 cup dried cranberries (Set aside to add later)

In a mall saucepan combine the following wet ingredients over low heat until hot but not boiling:
3 Tbs canola or corn oil
1 Tb water
1/4 cup sugar free maple syrup
2 tsp. real vanilla flavoring

While liquids are heating, spray large sturdy cookie sheet liberally with cooking spray - set aside.
Pour liquids into dry ingredients in bowl and mix thoroughly with a spoon as mixture will still be hot.
Empty onto prepared cookie sheet and scrunch mixture with your hands to form clusters, distributing as evenly as possible, you can't over-do this step.
Bake for 30 minutes, then sprinkle evenly over mixture 1/4 cup cranberries and bake 15 minutes more or until medium to dark golden brown. Cool completely before touching granola, remove from cookie sheet and store in tight fitting container in refrigerator for up to a month. You can substitute any kind of nuts or dried ingredients you like.
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment